- Someone REALLY did send their cleaning lady to our house:)!
- Use your talents. If you're good at taking pictures, take pictures! If you are good at writing, write a poem! If you're good at setting up websites (or know someone who is;), set up a website! These are gifts that can't be replaced!
- Yard work. Mow, mulch, plant flowers. Whatever you are able to do. This has been a huge blessing to us!
- Send/take care packages to the hospital (gift cards, lotion, lip gloss, Listerine, magazines, snacks/drinks, gum, a blanket)
- Of course, meals are GREAT! The last thing you want to think about is cooking (and in our case, getting to the grocery store was near impossible). If you can't cook, or live out of town, send a gift card from somewhere.
- DRINKS! Patrick's cousin brought a TON of assorted soft drinks. It was so nice to be able to offer our visitors something to drink, rather than just tap water. Of course, a bottle of wine every now and then is nice, too;)!
- Our friends stocked our fridge/household necessities and made sure our house was clean and in order before we came home from the hospital. This was so nice! Y'all know how much I love "lamps/light", so I was glad to not come home to a dark house;)!
- Personal shopping! This cracked me up, but since I was sort of "home bound" with Miller, and I was at that awkward in between stage (between maternity and normal), I felt like I didn't have any clothes to wear, so my friend Kate would go buy TONS of clothes at Forever21 and Target, and whatever I didn't want, she would take back! It sounds random, but it was so nice and helpful:)!
- Jewelry- (no diamonds, of course;) I have gotten several bracelets and necklaces from friends. I love them all! It's something I can wear to remember him by:)!
- Books- We have gotten lots of books. This has been great! We haven't gotten to read them all yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
- Pet sit! We were so thankful to have our neighbor take care of Lucy while we were in the hospital! Pets are kids too:)!
- We are Catholic, so several people have arranged for different masses to be for the intention of Miller. Such a neat idea! I wasn't even aware that you could do this!
- Crosses- we've gotten multiple crosses, and they are all so special to us
- Prayer cloth and/or prayer shawl- if your church does something like this. Ask them to do one for your friend/loved one.
- Pampering- massages, facials, mani/pedi, anything to RELAX! I've loved these gift certificates:)!
- COLE- don't forget siblings. People have been so kind to remember Cole:)!
- If you have a pool or a boat, offer it up for the day. A relaxing day on the water is a nice break:)!
- Offer to babysit:)! The pictures below are from what our friend Nancee did. After Miller passed away, she offered to keep Cole so we could have a date night, and on the way out the door, she handed us this box. Inside was a note from her, and a gift certificate for dinner, movies, and dessert! SO SWEET!!!
So, THANK YOU, to our family and friends! We are forever indebted to you for all you have done for us over the past few months! We couldn't have made it without you!











6 comments:
Meredith I am glad you posted this. So many people just don't know what to do but they want to help out in some way. I think it is important for us to share great information and ways to help out when someone else goes through such difficult times. Love you and loved talking to you this morning.
P.S. Burke had a poopy diaper after I got off the phone. YEA!
Meredith: It was wonderful for you to post all of these ideas. Adam has finally gone home after ten months and I agree with you that people are so good. One of the very best things was connecting with old friends. I, too, feel so blessed to have such good people around and we all need to return the love and concern.
excuse me. you left out the part where i threw all my dirty clothes (that were lying on the floor of my closet) into a bag and brought them to you. hahahaha. only a TRUE friend. hahaha. i think that was me in a panic. haha :)
i am telling you...ANYTHING, ANYONE did for you did more for the giver. thanks to you all for letting us! ;) we NEEDED to , HAD to, feel like we were (in a teeny nothingness way) making something easier or better.
and a shout out to the person that did the ADORBALE date night package. what a cute idea!!!!! i should have thought of that DANGGGGG! haha!
Meredith, God has Blessed you with incredible friends and family. I am so happy that they were all there for you reaching out to you with LOVE and Kindness. Reading your post made me think back to all the ways that GOD has blessed us.. We are praying for you. May GOD surround you with his peace and comfort. I am still working on my story to share with you. Sincerly, Lori
What a great post! I am so glad you were blessed with such great friends who were (and still are)there for you. Thanks so much for the list! Such great ideas that I wouldn't have thought of.
Meredith, Thank you for sharing your story. I found your blog while doing a web search about SMA as my daughter, Sophia, was recently diagnosed (Type 1). She is currently 4 1/2 months old, and our main concern is that she is comfortable in the coming months. We are so happy that you could keep Miller comfortable throughout his life, and we really appreciate you sharing your story as it helps us to have more information on what to expect. We will continue to think and pray for Miller and your family. If interested, our blog for Sophie is: sophies--journey.blogspot.com
Post a Comment