Look at this BEAUTIFUL family!!!
On January 23rd (which happened to be Miller’s 7th month in Heaven), I received this email:
January 23rd
Woodruff Family,
My name is Jessica Lais and I heard about your story through a friend and have been following your blog. I wanted to write you and tell you how you have been such an inspiration to me and my family.
My son, Hudson, was born on February 13. He and Miller were only one month apart. During my last trimester with Hudson, I became very sick. To make a long story short, Hudson was not delivered "in time" and incurred a massive brain injury from a lack of oxygen. At first, the doctors told us that he would not make it. When he did, they told us that Hudson would be a vegetable for the rest of his life. Again, they were wrong.
While Hudson spent months recovering in the NICU, I went through a very dark and angry time. I was angry with God, angry with the doctor and angry at the situation. I became very depressed and did not have much strength left to give my family. It was at this time that I first heard of your family and sweet Miller. Your family's strength inspired me. I realized that everything truly does happen for a reason and sometimes the most beautiful strength comes from the most desperate of situations. You've also inspired me to start my own blog to spread Hudson's story (http://www.stronglikehudson.blogspot.com). This has been an amazing source of therapy for me as well.
Hudson has since been diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy. Although he is extremely developmentally delayed, he continues to amaze us every day with his will power. I have come to terms with our journey, but every day is still a struggle. I must constantly remind myself of our blessings and that every day with Hudson should be cherished, because it could have been so much different. Thank you, Woodruff Family, for reminding me of this.
As Hudson's 1st birthday quickly approaches, I find myself thinking of and praying for your family and Miller on a daily basis. As a parent, I can't even fathom what your hearts go through on a daily basis and especially during the big milestones. In my opinion, God only gives babies with special needs to the strongest families. No matter how short OR long their journey may be, he knows which families CAN handle the ups and the downs.
We've been wanting to do something special for your family and for your Foundation for awhile now as a "thank you" for everything your family has unknowingly done for us. I recently sent out Hudson's 1st Birthday Party invitations and inside them I've requested that people not bring him gifts. Instead, we've asked people to bring a donation of any size to the Miller McNeil Woodruff Foundation in Hudson's name. We would love to be able to give this to your family as a Happy Birthday gift to Miller from Hudson. I wish so badly that Miller could be here for his birthday, but I KNOW that God will have a very special celebration for him in Heaven.
Hudson's party is Sunday, 2/12. Please let me know how I can give you the donations afterward. I know that it isn't much, but it is a little something to let you know that Hudson (and the rest of the Lais family) will always be with Miller.
Thank you for everything.
Jessica Lais
(This email left me speechless! For a family that is facing struggles of their own, to think of US, was beyond my comprehension! To say that we are humbled would be an understatement!)
Well, this week I received a follow up email and pictures from Jessica:
Meredith,
Hudson's party was amazing, and we were able to share Miller's story with so many people. Thank you so much for the cards and Miller bands that you sent. We made adorable goody bags with them. I'll be sending you the checks this week. I'm still waiting on some from out of town friends & family who couldn't make it. So far, we've raised over $500!! I've attached a couple of pictures of our "Miller" table at the party and of the goody bags. Also, my sister had on a "Miller" dress at the party and didn't even realize it! I put some pictures up on the blog as well. Miller was definitely with us! :)
Thank you so much for sharing your sweet boy with the world and with our family. I hope we get to meet some day!
Jess
What an amazing, kind-hearted family!!! Please keep little Hudson in your prayers. Follow along their journey by visiting www.stronglikehudson.com. I can’t wait to meet them in person someday. I just know we will be great friends
!











7 comments:
What a great way to start my Friday! I love hearing stories like this. You guys are doing great work!
How wonderful! Thanks for sharing such a great story.
amazing! i am sitting here with tears in my eyes after reading this. Miller sure has made a HUGE impact on so many people. What proud parents you must be!
Meredith, you are so sweet! Thank you so much for that wonderful post.
i love this story because it shows how miller's love and life translated into STRENGTH and FAITH and HOPE and APPRECIATION! :) what a cutie that Hudson is too!!! :) proud of my friends. each day.and proud of a community of people who continue to wrap them in comfort showing Miller's purpose each and every day.
Again....I'm amazed at how Miller has touched soooo many lives...because of his sweet blue eyes and his family's faith and strength! I'm off to check out mr Hudson now :)
Oh my gosh. That is SO sweet!!
Post a Comment