photo TheWoodruffFamily-home.png photo TheWoodruffFamily-miller.png photo TheWoodruffFamily-About.png photo TheWoodruffFamily-videos.png photo TheWoodruffFamily-website.png

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Two Steps Forward and One Step Back

We had a GREAT week last week with Miller, but the last couple of days have been rough on the little guy:(.

It all started going downhill Sunday evening. He had just finished a feeding and was laying on his side on the couch. His saturation on his pulse ox machine was great, but then the machine started getting a bad read (the O2 and pulse both go blank). This happens often, so I didn't worry about it. I usually mute it and it will start picking up a correct read pretty quickly. Well, he started fussing a little bit so I was sitting there patting his bottom, trying to calm him down. He had his paci in his mouth, but wasn't sucking it, so I could barely see the outside of his little lips. I noticed they looked a little blue. This is when I started freaking out a little about the machine not working. I wanted to know what his saturation was, so I fiddled with it until I got it working again. His O2 was in the 60's! I cranked up his oxygen machine a little bit and it did nothing, so I cranked it up more, and more, until we had him at a 3 (he was at 1/4 when we came home from ACH, and now he is usually at a 1), and his level wasn't budging!!! He was really blue and gurgling and we felt SO helpless! After a good deep suction, he finally started pinking up again! I don't know how long he was blue. Probably only for a couple of minutes, but it felt like FOREVER!

The next morning was typical. He never has good mornings. He usually wakes up between 6:00a-8:00a, we feed him, he fusses through the feeding, then he will go back to sleep for an hour or so. Once he wakes up he usually has one of his fits, his O2 goes LOW and his pulse rate goes HIGH. To calm him down, we either have to call daddy home from work;), or give him is Lorazepam. This particular morning, we gave him his medicine. The rest of the day was up and down. Dionne, Miller's Hospice nurse came around 6:30pm and he was having another fit. She gave him 1/2 dose of morphine and it took a while to kick in. Once it kicked in, it didn't seem to last for long. My girlfriends were coming over for Girl's Night Out, and bless their hearts, they got a dose of our days:(. His O2 was fine for the most part, but his heart rate would NOT drop! We couldn't do anything to calm him down! Finally he calmed down and the rest of the night was pretty good. He spent the majority of the night on Patrick's chest. Patrick obviously didn't complain about that;)! Gotta love the SUPER dad!!! Have I told you how lucky I am to have him???

Today we had an appointment with the Pulmonologist. We hesitated to even go to the appointment. The Neurologist suggested that we see them, but I just didn't see what they could tell us that would help Miller's situation. We decided to go anyway. If nothing else, it would be a good excuse to get out of the house;)! I figured they would do a chest x-ray and maybe tell us what level to keep his oxygen at. We got WAY more information that I expected.....

Dr. Menendez was SO good! Her bedside manner was so calming. She walked in the room and I could immediately tell she was really concerned about Miller. He was really gurgling and working extra hard, so she got to see him at his worst. She prescribed him some medicine to help dry up his secretions and told us not to deep suction him anymore. She said that we should keep his O2 level at 2-3, because even though his saturation may look good, it will help his comfort level since he is working SO hard to breath. She also recommended that we give him his Lorazepam on schedule (every 6 hours) and Morphine (as needed). This is hard for Patrick and me. You don't like to "drug" your baby, but at the same time we want him COMFORTABLE! That has been my biggest prayer. I asked her (as I do EVERY poor doctor that graces our presence) how/when she thinks it will happen. Of course, NOBODY knows the answer to this question, but she told us she thinks it is really, really soon. She said the next 48 hours will be crucial, but I got the impression she thinks things will happen within the next week or two.

This hit us hard. I got the same feeling when she told us this as I did the day we were sitting in the room after his EMG when the doctor gave us the diagnosis. I just wasn't prepared for it. All of the breath was taken out of me. Just when you think all of your tears have been cried, another river opens up. I know we were told 3 weeks ago that it was probably an appropriate time to go to the Hospice House, but at that time I knew in my heart that it wasn't really time. I just didn't feel like he was ready. Who knows, he could totally bounce back this time too, and I REALLY hope he does, but I have a different gut feeling this time. He is showing all of the signs we have been warned about....not responding to his oxygen, his bad days outnumbering his good days, etc.

Dionne came to see us this afternoon. Dr. Menendez had called her and filled her in on everything. Dionne said we could go to the Hospice House if we wanted to, but it was our decision. She feels comfortable with us being at home, but knows that we don't really want to be here in the end. We will see how the next couple of days go and make a decision from there.

Monsignor LeSieur is coming over tomorrow night to give Miller the Sacrament of Confirmation and Sacrament of the Sick. Typically he wouldn't be confirmed until he was 14, but because of "danger of death" they are doing it early. This gives us so much peace.

I know many of you are praying for us, so I would ask that you pray specifically for these 3 things:

1. Miller's COMFORT
2. Cole's UNDERSTANDING
3. Mine and Patrick's STRENGTH

Thank you so much for your continued support.

I took the pictures below today. I know they all look exactly the same, but I have a hard time deleting ANY pictures of this precious baby boy, so you get to see all of them:).....

































21 comments:

Whitney said...

We continue to pray for you every day. May you find comfort and peace over the next several days/weeks. Your strength is so evident and both of your boys are so lucky!

Kate said...

oh mer. we are praying so hard for you. any time we are with you all and miller we are feeling special. i am glad i got to hold his hand and glad we got to laugh and things like my leg in that picture. :)
My prayers are for comfort, understanding and strength. you got it. we are here next to you and won't leave your side. as is He. May God carry you all through these weeks.
we love you baby miller!!!!
ps--my fav pic is the one with him looking to the side like he is up to something! ;) love ya.

Unknown said...

Continuing to pray for all of you!

Stephanie said...

Meredith, your family is so often in my thoughts as I go throughout the day. Miller is such a beautiful baby. I love all the pictures! We will keep praying.
Psalm 91:4

leah said...

Meredith,
I have been following you guys ever since I saw Patrick's post you were going to childrens hospital. You don't know me but I sure feel like I know you:)! Patrick was a good bit older than me in highschool but I knew him...he was a baseball ledgend:). I had his uncle Jim for entrepreneurship class. My mom is friends with Rhonda and absolutely loves her!
You are such an inspiration! I am amazed at your beauty and strength. My husband and I have kept your family in our prayers. I just wanted to drop you a line to let you know that you are an inspiration to strangers! The strengh of your marriage, faith, and family is profound. I told my husband last night after reading your blog how important he is to me and how we should never take each other or all the things that are good in our life for granted. I'm sure you guys will forever inspire people and stangers!
We continue to have you and your family and precious
baby Miller in our thoughts and prayers.
Sincerely,
Leah Howard-CedeƱo

Morgan Chandler said...

Constantly thinking of Miller. Thank you for letting us know specifically what to pray for! Hoping Miller stays comfortable. He & Cole are so fortunate to have such strong, caring parents!

Cory said...

Aww! I just found your blog through another blogger mama, and am sobbing! I am so sorry you guys are walking this path. :( And I love the pics of Miller. He is not just an empty little nobody. He is here, and he is smiling in the pictures, and it is hard to imagine that he might not be in the near future. There are no words for that. He is precious beyond compare. Praying for you all.

Barb said...

Meredith,
I've been following your blog since I heard about Miller's diagnosis. I'm your Aunt Kathy's husband, John's, daughter, and am so touched by your family.
I'm praying for all of you. What a precious family you are.
Praying for comfort, understanding, and strength.
Barb

the osbornes said...

I've been sitting here trying to think of what to say and there are just no words, but I'm offering up plenty of prayers for all of you. He is such a precious angel!

Anonymous said...

oh my.... i have been reading your blog for a couple weeks now and am more heart broken by the day. I look at that little face and cant believe he is so sick. Your little Miller is so so precious and I am aching so much for you all. I will pray for your requests.

Shane G. said...

Meredith, I was pointed this way by Carrie Jernigan. I don't know that I have the words but I will try. I can tell by your words that you love little Miller so much but that you are strong. I know that you have to keep preparing for the worst, but don't ever give up hope for the best. as cliche as it sounds, God works in mysterious ways. I am certainly going to pray for little Miller and you , dad and Cole too. If the Good Lord calls Miller home, I hope you all can find peace and balance and remember that you all still have each other and you will always have the memories of the time that Miller blessed your lives.

Lindsey Keeter said...

Meredith~

Our family continues to pray for Miller, Cole, you and Patrick. We will be praying so hard, and asking our community to do the same, in particularly for your 3 specific prayers. Reading your blogs, and Facebook posts, and hearing updates from the Feagans' really affirms the strength that you already have. We will continue to pray each and every day for you all and hope that you are also comforted in all the prayers coming your way. Miller is so precious. Thanks for sharing him with us.

sl said...

I found your blog from another blog. I wanted you to know that I am praying for your family. The photos of your son are precious. I know this is a very difficult time. Prayers are beinf said in KY for your family.

jennifer said...

What a beautiful little guy you have. I love his dark hair and his expressive little face. My heart is aching for you and especially for Cole -- I have a 3-year-old son too, and I can't imagine having to explain something like this to him. You are all in my prayers every day.

The Bates Family said...

Continuing to keep your beautiful family in our thoughts and prayers. Your little guy is just absolutely adorable! It is truly amazing how someone so small can affect so many people.

Lollipops & Pig Tails said...

Saying many prayers for your family and that sweet baby boy that you may find peace, comfort and strength.

I found your blog from the FB prayer group from a super sweet picture Jordan posted.

Pastor4kids said...

I've had Miller and your family on my mind most all day. I've made it a habit that anytime the thought of Miller crosses my mind to pray. The scripture that keeps coming to me this afternoon was "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10
I'm believing that His supernatural peace, love & strength will envelop you.

The Johnson Family 5 said...

I'm a friend of the Whitehead's and have been following your blog for a while now. I just want to say that I think about your sweet family often! Sending lots of prayers your way! You are one incredible family with so much love and support it's amazing! Hugs to you!

Anndee said...

Blessings and prayers for your family. God be with you and give you the comfort, understanding and strength that you need.

As one photo-loving mommy to another, those pictures do not look all the same. Each one captures a different precious expression. They're beautiful. He's beautiful.

Sandy Haley said...

He is now your guardian angel and will anxiously be waiting for his family in heaven...so then, he can rest on daddy's chest again:-) Love and prayers to all of you. Miller was lucky as well to have such a wonderful family caring for him. May God be with you all and give you strength to get through this terrible time. Love Sandy

Katy said...

I am praying for you and your family!!! He is one of the most adorable little boys I have ever seen!

 

design + development by kelly christine studio